Ideas and Tips to watch out for when moving locally in Melbourne
* Depot to Depot – Are paying the Melbourne removal company to drive to your house and then back again when they may be doing another furniture removal around the corner? It is not fair for two customers moving on the same day to be paying depot to depot when the truck is already on the road? The Melbourne removal company is definitely double dipping on charges and you are paying for it! You should only pay a removalist from your pick up point to your new residence because that is when they are actually working.
* Call Out Fees – This is similar to Melbourne Depot fees but worded differently. Many Melbourne removalists call this a call out fee. In the removal game this fee shouldn’t be charge but incorporated within the door to door charge. You and others that may be moving house on the same day are paying this 30 minute – 1 hour plus charge when the removalists is already on the road. You may sometimes find that their hourly rate seems cheap – it is’ when you add all the associated costs to the final bill.
* Return time – Are you paying the Melbourne removalists to drive back to the original pick up point when they may be going to another job nearby! Many Melbourne removal companies will charge you back to the original place of pick up when calculating their charge. Not fair! Always ask to look at ALL their removal charges before booking with them.
* Minimum 3 hours – Melbourne Removal Companies may charge a minimum of 3 hours even if the job is less than 3 hours. This is the cost of business and typically one job will follow another. A good Melbourne removal company will have more work after a small removal job.
* Charges to Nearest 30 minutes or 1 Hour – Some Melbourne removal companies charge you to nearest 30 minutes or by the full hour only. You end up paying extra for a few minutes over the nearest charge.
* Credit Card Fees – You may get charged extra for paying by credit card (particularly Visa, Master cards or AMEX). Anything from 2-5% is added to your Melbourne removal cost. How can that be fair! This is a cost that needs to be considered when their hourly rate is established, not plus this plus that etc! Transcorp Removals & Storage only believes that extra charges should be charged for premium cards such as AMEX or like cards.
* Road Tolls – Other Melbourne removal companies forward the costs to you or go the long way (extra time added) when tolls reduce their driving costs.
* Lunch breaks – Removal Companies charge you for their staff / contractors to have lunch breaks! You are paying them to go down the road and get food or to sit for 30 min or 1 hr (that may cost you $44.00-$99.00) whilst they have their lunch! Take this off their final removal charge as you have probably also given them drinks and a snack yourself whilst they where working. Please understand, I am totally for hard working furniture removalists to have a well deserved lunch break but they MUST take this time off your final charge.
* We Break It We Fix It – Melbourne Removal Companies that offer this option make the job sound assured. But if you are paying $176.00/ Hr with this option yet another reputable removal company is offering $132.00/ Hr (but with optional insurance) then if your job took 5 hrs you would save $220.00 on your move by using the $132.00/ hr Removalists ($176.00-$132.00 = $44.00 by 5 Hours = $220.00). On Melbourne Local Removals, optional Full Cover Insurance is typically 1% of your stated value therefore $220.00 would give you $22,000 of FULL insurance. Also the more expensive removal company insure your move internally therefore there are many conditions and restrictions which apply such as you can’t help, you must follow every trolley/carry load, you must see damage done, you may need to pay a high excess, maximum claim limit, they decide the repair method etc… You MUST read all of their 1-2 pages of fine print (please ask them to forward these pages to you). These offers are not insurance based they are only a sales technique to get you to use their service and any claims will be considered only ….they don’t have to pay out and will make it hard for you to claim! In simple keep insurance separate from the removal costs.
* AFRA Member – You should always prefer to use an AFRA Member (Australian Furniture Removalists Association) as every company needs to stick by there guidelines and procedures. This will help ensure that your move is well protected and that you have a body to go to in case you have issue during of after your furniture removal.
Think Wisely and Select Well when moving house in Melbourne
Transcorp Removals &
2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Removalists Of The Year
2010 Business Champion – Services
1300 466 838