Your Moving Countdown
Whether you’re moving homes Locally, Interstate or Internationally, our moving home tips and helpful advice will assist you in preparing and planning efficiently for your move. With our Moving Home Checklist, your moving day can run as smoothly as possible; from your pick up address to your new home!
6 WEEKS TO GO
- Arrange quotation with Transcorp Removals & Storage
- Create a list of items you no longer need and hold a garage sale, give the items to charity, family or friends
- Plan your PACKING – do you require packing materials and/or professional packing services? Call 1300 466 838 to discuss your requirements
- Plan your DELIVERY – will you require STORAGE? Transcorp Removals & Storage provides Storage options. Call 1300 466 838 if required
- Arrange School, Day Care transfers
4 WEEKS TO GO
- Book your Removalist and/or Packers
- Investigate additional Insurance Options
- Make travel arrangements for your pets and vehicles if required
2 WEEKS TO GO
- Finalise your inventory with your Removalist
- Book a professional Cleaner
- Contact family, friends and businesses regarding the change of your address
- Burn off the gas from your BBQ
- Dispose of all garden chemicals, paints, fuel and other flammable items
- Begin using all foods in your freezer and fridge
- Check the Garden, Garage and Shed for any forgotten items
- Arrange to have your phone, electricity, gas , water and cable disconnected in your home and reconnected in your new home
1 WEEK TO GO
- Confirm all booking arrangements including vehicles, pets and cleaners
- Book elevator access (if required)
- Arrange with the Post Office to re-direct all your mail (ask for the Movers Kit)
- Collect all personal items which have repaired or loaned out such as dry cleaning and library books
- Pack items which you may need immediately after moving such as keys, remotes, passports and mobile phones
- Defrost and clean out your fridge/freezer
- Ensure your boxes do not exceed 15 kilograms so they do not split apart or damage your personal effects
- Mark all your boxes so you know where they need to go in your new house
- Considered taking out insurance to cover your goods whilst in transport or in storage
- View AFRA’s short video on packing boxes
YOUR MOVING DAY
To save your time, please ensure all your items are marked, packed and ready for uplift
- Arrange a space for your Removalist to park (allow 2-3 car spaces). The close we are, the quicker we load.
- Pack yourself a survival kit with toiletries tea, coffee, milk, kettle, cups, first-aid kit and other personal items for the day (remember to mark this box!)
- Make a final check of your property for any forgotten items, inspect all cupboards, sheds, storage and outdoor areas, and ensure all items you wish to move are loaded on the truck
- Ensure all electricity and gas metres have been read and the telephone has been disconnected
- Tighten all taps, turn off the water heater and power to the house
- Collect and return all keys to the new owner or Real Estate Agent
To Take, Or Not To Take!
To ensure your move day runs without a hiccup, we have compiled a list of items which you should keep with you on your move day, and a list of items which are classified as dangerous goods and are therefore not transportable. It may assist your decision in what “to take, or not to take”!
Personal Items you should keep during your move
- Passport and Visa
- Wallet or Handbag
- Mobile phone and address book
- Plane, bus and train tickets
- Traveller Cheques
- Duplicate Keys – Car, House
- Small items of extreme value
- Insurance Policies
- Medical and accident insurance
- Motor vehicle ownership records
- Credit Cards and Drivers Licence
- Wills / Testaments
- Copies of Marriage / birth certificates or divorce decree
Dangerous Items we cannot transport for safety reasons
- Linseed Oil
- Bleach Products
- Gas Cylinders
- Cleaning Fluids
- Aerosols of any kind
- Vegetable Oils
- Chemical Sets
- Paint Cans (new or partially used)
- Matches / Firelighters
- Weed Killers / Pesticides
Removal of Plants
- Ensure the last water is 2-3 days prior to your move, otherwise leaking water may damage your cartons or furniture
- Terracotta, ceramic and plastic pots are not ideal for long journeys as they can crack due to the weight of the soil when there is vibration
Check if your plants require certification when moving interstate. To maintain safe and pest free agricultural and farming areas throughout Australia, quarantine restrictions are imposed on the movements of plants to various states within Australia.
Plants being transported to Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory may require certification.
For further information regarding moving your plants, please contact the Department of Primary Industries, Victoria (Plant Standards Branch) 1300 466 838 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We all have our favorite china pieces, that special dinner set, a delicate sentimental item, a special vase requiring bubble wrapping and a bulky blanket which cannot be left behind! But are all items packed in a similar fashion? Of course not! So, how do you do it? Our guide to packing boxes outlines how to correctly pack your boxes and provides tips on how to pack specific items including delicate and bulky pieces.
Thank-you for choosing Transcorp Australia Pty Ltd to quote for your removal.
For your convenience we have included a few tips and hints that will come in handy when planning your move. By following our simple suggestions we are confident that your move with Transcorp will be a smooth and pleasant experience.
A Few Things To Consider
Decided to pack your goods yourself, please consider some hints:
- Order Transcorp packing materials. If we are also performing your removal then we can credit any unused materials on the move day.
- Make sure you have everything packed when we arrive. Packing and wrapping may take longer than expected.
- Pack everything that can be boxed (close the top so box can go onto box).
- Use thick and sturdy cartons and ensure they have a lid.
- Avoid having loose items.
- Make sure that you line the bottom and the sides of boxes with screwed up paper that you pack breakables in.
- Wrap each breakable item in butcher paper. Avoid using newspapers as they can leave black marks.
- Secure the boxes with packaging tape by taping the top and bottom in a crossover pattern. and place it upside down in the carton.
- Plates or like items should be placed vertically in cartons totally wrapping every plate.
- Wrap each glass and crockery
- Avoid making the boxes heavier than 15 kilos.
- Remember to clearly label the boxes with your name, delivery address and destination room.
- Only write “Fragile” on glassware and like items.
- Visit the AFRA web-site for a quick video on packing.
Moving Tips & Advice
- Do not disconnect the phone at the pick up address until the day after the move.
- If you have a mobile phone keep it on. Ensure that you have provided us with contact numbers.
- Please try to ensure that there is space for the truck to park outside the pick up and delivery addresses.
- Keep driveways and walkways clear from obstacles.
- Do not forget to take everything you need for the time between pick up and delivery or for your onwards travel. This includes passports, cheque books, wallets, mobile phones, tickets and the kids favourite toys.
- Please ensure that everything that was supposed to be moved has been packed and loaded before the truck leaves.
- Please note that we can not accept dangerous goods.
- Please note that Pot Plants can not be transported either to or from Western Australia. Also please be aware that fruit boxes may not be used for packing, due to quarantine restrictions.
- Remember to redirect your mail to your new residence or to a relative or friend. Please visit Australia Post Redirections for a free mail re-direction booklet.
- Seriously consider taking out insurance to cover your relocation and/or storage. As careful as all removalist are, from time to time accidents can happen. Like Home Insurance, as AFRA accredited members we are authorized to offer restricted or full comprehensive insurance as part of your quote. Our insurance rates are listed in this web-site.
Booking your Move
- Provide us with all contact numbers for both the pick up and delivery address. If you have a mobile phone please tell us the number and keep it switched on.
- Please let us know in advance about any access issues at the pick up and delivery addresses. This includes clear ways, lifts, stairways, walk ways, above or below ground floor pick ups and deliveries.
Preparing other Items
- Put large pictures and prints into flattened cartons.
- Dismantle swings, aerials, garden sheds, cubby houses, BBQ’s and other outdoor items that you want us to move.
- Empty fuel from any motor driven bikes, tools and equipment.
- Do not lock the handles of motor bikes to allow for easy moving.
- Twist the handlebars of push bikes in the same direction as the frame.
- Gas bottles must be emptied, certified as purged before we can move them.
- Take the knobs off doors and drawers if possible if they protrude too much.
- Leave heavy furniture such as cupboards, chests of drawers and wardrobes empty.
- Disconnect cables from TVs, stereos, videos and other home entertainment equipment. Label and pack the cables.
- Defrost fridges and freezers. Do not leave this until the day of the move. Empty water from drip trays.
- Certain equipment such as printers, photo copiers and washing machines need to have their moving parts secured before transport. Consult the user manual for how to do this.
Please note that Transcorp cannot take the following items:
- Radioactive material
- Toxins & Poisons
- Flammable Liquids